Saturday 8 February 2014

Valentines Cupcakes



This will be a quick how to make post, I will be talking you through how I made my valentines cupcake. They don't have to be for valentines day but as the day was fast approaching I would make some cute little cupcakes. Valentines day seems like the perfect opportunity to make cakes. The cakes I made were chocolate sponge and a vanilla butter cream icing.

You will need

For the cakes -
+ 150g Butter
+ 150g Caster Sugar
+ 175g Self-raising flour
+ 25g Cocoa Powder
+ 3 Eggs

For the icing - 
+ 250g Butter
+ 500g Icing sugar
+ 2 tsp Milk
+ A handful of raspberries (optional)

These are all the ingredients I used to create my cakes, it doesn't matter what brands you use. Use what you can or what ever you have in the cupboard.

 You will need the following utensils - 
Mixing bowl x 2 (can use one normal bowl)
Sieve
Electric whisk (can use handheld)
Fork
Skewer
Piping bag
Cupcake cases
Spoons
Cupcake tin (muffin tin)

Step one - Preheat your oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4. You will need to lay out your cupcake cases into your cupcake tin, the recipe I used said that the recipe makes 12 cakes but mine made about 18 cakes so I just placed 12 cases in to begin with then added more when needed.
Step two - Beat your eggs together in a separate bowl with your fork
Step three - Mix together the butter, sugar, flour and cocoa powder. 
Step four - Use the electric or hand held whisk and mix together ingredients from step three and slowly add the eggs.
Step five - Use a table spoon and spoon the mixtures into the cases, you will need to put about a spoonful into each case. Don't fill the cases up as the mixture will rise.

 Step six - Place the cupcakes into your preheated oven (near top) for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Step seven - After about 15 minutes you will need to check on the cakes if they are firm on top you can use your skewer by putting it into the middle of the cupcake if it comes out clean, then your cupcakes will be ready to be removed from the oven. If not then you can just put them in the oven for a little bit longer but ensure that you keep checking on them.
Step eight - When removing cakes let them cool for a couple of minutes, then take them out of the tray and place them on the cooling rack.
Step nine - While your cakes are cooling you can start to prepare your icing, You will need to place your butter and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. This part can get a little messy so little tip, you can place a tea towel over your bowl and  whisk, this will stop icing sugar getting EVERYWHERE. You will need to mix this until it is completely mixed if it looks a little yellow you will just need to carry on mixing until it starts to look a little white. Then you will need to mix in the milk. I added a little more milk than recommended as my mixture looked a little thick. 
Step ten - When the cakes are completely cooled you will able to start piping on the mixture you can make them look how ever you want but I just swirled the mixture round to make it look the way it does in the pictures. I then placed on the raspberry it isn't really a necessity but I just feel that it makes the cakes look a lot nicer.

thank you so much for reading
I would love to see your feedback.
If you would like to see me make anything else let me know in the comments.
Lots of love

No comments:

Post a Comment